Monday, February 18, 2013

Another pointless memory experiment

Today I will continue to try to work my brain into midseason form with a few memory drills. First I will repeat yesterday's exercise: name as many of MLB's 30 general managers as I can in 5 minutes. For an additional challenge, I will try to name all the field managers.

Setting my iPhone timer... and GO!

Jerry DiPoto LAA
Billy Beane OAK
Jack Zduriencik SEA
Jon Daniels TEX
Jeff Luhnow HOU
Rick Hahn CWS
Terry Ryan MIN
Dave Dombrowski DET
Chris Antonetti CLE
Dayton Moore KC
Brian Cashman NYY
Ben Cherington BOS
Andrew Friedman TB
Dan Duquette BAL
Alex Anthopoulos TOR
Brian Sabean SF
Ned Colletti LAD
Josh Byrnes SD
Kevin Towers AZ
Dan O'Dowd COL
Jed Hoyer CHC
Walt Jocketty CIN
John Mozeliak STL
Doug Melvin MIL
Sandy Alderson NYM
Frank Wren ATL
Mike Rizzo WAS
Ruben Amaro, Jr. PHI
FLA???

OK, Time's Up.

I actually got to the end with 1:21 left but couldn't think of the Florida GM. I knew it was some boring name but couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was. Ah yes, "Michael Hill."

Crap, and I totally forgot the Pirates' Neal Huntington. At least I remembered how to spell "Zduriencik" this time. I knew I was on the right track when Safari red-underlined it as I was typing.

So, how did I do?

Result Yesterday Today
Perfect 13 28
Just spelling errors 2 0
Wrong but not without trying 4 1
Completely spaced 11 1



Alright, onto the next challenge. How many managers do I know?

Five minutes on the clock.

Walt Weiss COL
Bruce Bochy SF
Don Mattingly LAD
Kirk Gibson AZ
Bud Black SD
Dusty Baker CIN
Dale Sveum CHI
Ron Roenicke MIL
Mike Matheny STL
Clint Hurdle PIT
Terry Collins NYM
Fredi Gonzalez ATL
Mike Redmond MIA
Davey Johnson WAS
Charlie Manuel PHI
Bob Melvin OAK
Ron Washington TEX
Mike Scioscia LAA
Robin Ventura CWS
Terry Francona CLE
Ron Gardenhire MIN
Jim Leyland DET
Joe Girardi NYY
Joe Maddon TB
Buck Showalter BAL

Not bad! Those were actually all right. Even spelled them correctly.

Couldn't remember (or didn't know) the following:

John Farrell BOS
Bo Porter HOU
Ned Yost KC
Eric Wedge SEA
John Gibbons TOR

I'll try managers again tomorrow, and maybe something else kooky like stadium names.



No comments:

Post a Comment