Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Somos Numero Uno!

Thanks to my mom for sharing this article with me. It looks like the Mets opened the season with more foreign-born players than any other team. Cool!

I'm reminded of the
neat infographic at Flip Flop Fly Ball charting the growth of the Latin American and Asian population within MLB (and the unsurprising death of the European population).

Random thoughts:

  • Both the NY Times article and Craig Robinson's timeline show that Dominican-born players outnumber any other international constituency which reminds me just how much I enjoyed the film Sugar, which you don't have to be a baseball fan to enjoy. I'd say the film was a cross between Maria Full of Grace and The Scout. But, you know, way better than that sounds.

  • I'm glad that the Mets have a Canadian on the team. Hopefully the 2010 version of the Mets will be a nicer, friendlier version of the Mets. I plan to celebrate Bay's first homerun as a Met with a Molson, and maybe a hug.

  • The NY Times article also notes, "In four of the past five years, the Mets have led the majors with with the most players born elsewhere." I'm willing to bet that the Mets have also led the major with the most injured players born elsewhere, or anywhere, for that matter...

No comments:

Post a Comment